Should something be done to improve the health of the wolves? There are many people pushing NPS to bring in new wolves to revive the existing packs, but there are also many people urging a ‘hands off” posture.
The first six links below cover the issues without taking a stand. They are all short, and each offers something unique. The last two are specifically for or against intervention.
An understanding of “wilderness” and the “purpose for the park” are also very important to this discussion, but are covered in separate sections.
- Spring 2014 by Tracy O’Connell at “wolf.org”.
- May 2014 by Candice Gaukel Andrews at her GAIAM Life blog.
- Dec 2014 by Catherine O’Connor, “Fieldnotes: Life Among Isle Royale Wolves”.
- Winter 2014 Laurie McClellan, National Parks and Conservation Association.
- Feb 2014 by Emma Marris, Nature International Journal of Science.
- Apr 2014 by Christine Dell’Amore, National Geographic
- 2012 by John Vucetich, Michael Nelson, and Rolf Peterson on the George Wright Forum, “Should Isle Royale Wolves be Reintroduced? A Case Study on Wilderness Management in a Changing World”.
- 2013 by David Mech on the George Wright Forum, “The Case for Watchful Waiting with Isle Royale’s Wolf Population”.